Sunday, August 28, 2011

The Attention Whore



So, I'm sure you all know someone like this.  Someone you can hear coming for miles, all the while dreading the approach.  You know you're going to have to engage and it's all you can do to mask your hostility.

Unfortunately for me, this person in my life happens to be my boss.  Picture yourself in the cubicle farm environment.  This person sits two cubes catty-corner away.  But you can hear EVERYTHING, because attention whores are purposely louder than anyone else.


She throws her keys down on her desk disdainfully every morning and any time during the day she has to use them to unlock a cabinet.  Her cell phone is never on vibrate.  She has long acrylic nails and types like she has sledgehammers for hands.  Also, a new trick she's learned (if I found out who taught her, they are dead meat) to "wake up" her computer is to pick up the mouse and drop it on the desk several times.  She listens to music with ear buds, but feels compelled to treat us all to a concert and snap her fingers.  (And even when I have Led Zeppelin blaring on my IPOD so loud my ears are bleeding, I can still hear her.)  And when she's not listening to music, every random, vapid thought that pops into her brain is expressed verbally to her next-cubicle neighbor.


She also likes to involve me and any unlucky bystander in her make-mountains-out-of-molehills approach to any and every thing possible.  


Why does this bother me?  Because attention whores demand your attention.  I would willingly give face time to someone who needs and deserves human interaction, but make me do anything, and all bets are off.  Even if it's cutting of my nose to spite my face.  Attention whores are draining.  They suck your life-force.  And smile while they're doing it.......cause that's what they're after.  


Attention whore = energy vampire


Wonder if garlic works for this????






Animated arrows courtesy of http://www.gifs.cc/
href="http://www.gifs.cc">Gifs.cc - Gifs and Animations for your website, free</a></p>

No comments:

Post a Comment